White bread is one of the most common staple foods, but it’s something that you really should avoid if you want to eat healthily.
Here are five reasons why you should skip white bread, and instead eat bread with whole grain as it’s first ingredient.
(1) It has zero nutritional value.
White bread is made primarily with enriched white flour which has had all its nutrients stripped away and replaced with only token amounts of vitamins (hence the word ‘enriched’).
(2) It won’t keep you satisfied.
White bread because it spikes your blood sugar levels gives you a carb rush followed by a crash. Thanks to the fibre in whole-grain bread, energy is released more slowly.
(3) It will make you gain weight.
Studies have shown a correlation between eating large quantities of white bread and gaining weight.
(4) It’s full of additives & preservatives. Your average loaf of white bread is full of conditioners and preservatives, including mono and diglycerides, ammonium sulphate,etc. These ingredients are completely devoid of nutrition and only help make the bread softer and preserve its shelf life.
(5) It doesn’t taste like anything!
The flavour of processed white bread leaves a lot to be desired. We may find it palatable because we’re used to it, but toast a piece of whole grain bread and you’ll be glad you’re eating something rich and nutty that actually tastes like real food.